Amazon & My Data
Protecting privacy and security of your data, is and has always been, a top priority for Amazon.
Information You Provide To Us
When you interact with our products and services, you provide us with information which we securely store and use to improve your Amazon experience. The common ways you provide us with information include:
- searching for products or services, placing an order, submitting a review or compiling a Wishlist
- downloading, streaming, viewing, or using digital content on a device, or through an app
- providing information in Your Account or Your Profile
- talking to Alexa
- configuring your device privacy settings
- communicating with us by phone, e-mail, or otherwise
As a result of those actions, you might supply us with such information as:
- your name, address and phone number
- payment information
- delivery details of people to whom purchases have been dispatched or people listed in 1-Click settings (including addresses and phone numbers)
- content of reviews and e-mails to us
- personal description and photograph in Your Profile
- voice recordings when you speak to Alexa
How We Use And Look After Your Personal Information
As explained in our Privacy Notice, we use your personal information to provide and improve our services. Here are the ways we use it:
- to handle your orders and payments, deliver your items and provide you with the right services
- to prevent or detect fraud and abuse in order to protect your security,such as verifying your identity, where necessary
- to analyse our performance, so we can fix errors and build features (like Amazon's Choice) to improve usability and effectiveness of our websites, products and our services for you
- to recommend features, products, and services that might be of interest to you, identify your preferences, and personalise your Amazon experience accordingly, including displaying ads that might be of interest to you. To learn more about interest-based ads, please read our Interest-Based Ads notice here
- to respond to your voice requests correctly and improve your Alexa experience. Learn more about Alexa and Privacy here
- to communicate with you about Amazon (e.g., by phone, email, chat)
Because your privacy and the security of your data is important to us we are not in the business of selling our customers' personal information to others. In some instances, we may share your personal information with third parties, but this is only in order to provide you with services or to comply with applicable laws. For example, you can order products from third-party sellers through our retail website, download applications from third-party application providers from our App Store, and enable third-party skills through our Alexa services. More information can be found in our Privacy Notice here. Amazon Europe shares customers' information only as described in that Privacy Notice and with Amazon.com, Inc. (and the subsidiaries that Amazon.com, Inc. controls) that are either subject to our Privacy Notice or follow practices at least as protective as those described in it.
The legal basis for our use of your personal information varies dependingon why we need to use your information. To take several examples, when you purchase a product on our marketplace we need to use your information to perform a contract with you. We may then retainrecords related to your purchase for a period of time to comply with tax-related legal obligations. We also need to use your information to detect, prevent, and respond to fraud; this is based on our and our customer's legitimate interests.
We keep your personal information to enable your continued use of Amazon Services, for as long as it is required in order to fulfil the relevant purposes described in our Privacy Notice, as may be required by law such as for tax and accounting purposes, or as otherwise communicated to you. For example, we retain your transaction history so that you can review past purchases (and repeat orders if desired) and what addresses you have shipped orders to, and to improve the relevance of products and content we recommend. We design all of our systems and devices with your privacy in mind and have invested heavily in ensuring the security of your data throughout every connection across our business. Some of the measures we take to keep your data secure include:
- protecting the security of your information by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software, which encrypts information you share with us
- following the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) when handling your credit card data
- maintaining safeguards in connection with the collection, storage and disclosure of your personal information
- occasionally requesting proof of identity before we disclose personal information to you; and
- offering security features within our devices, to protect them against unauthorised access and loss of data. You can control these features and configure them based on your needs.
Your Privacy Questions
You can find further information on how we protect your privacy at www.amazon.co.uk/privacy. If you have any concern about privacy at Amazon Europe or want to contact one of our data controllers, please contact us with a description and we will try to resolve the issue for you. You can file a complaint with our principal supervisory authority, the Commission Nationale pour la Protection des Données in Luxembourg, the Information Commissioner's Office, or with another local authority.