Follow the author
Somebody Swallowed Stanley Paperback – 2 May 2019
- Choose from over 20,000 locations across the UK
- FREE unlimited deliveries at no additional cost for all customers
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enhance your purchase
“Plastic bags don’t belong in the sea!”
As read by Tom Hardy on Cbeebies Bedtime Stories
Everybody has a taste for Stanley - and the other ocean creatures just keep mistaking him for a delicious treat - but this is no ordinary jellyfish.
Most jellyfish have dangly-gangly tentacles, but Stanley has two handles…
Other jellyfish have a magical glow, but Stanley has stripes…
Because Stanley (spoiler alert) is a plastic bag!
A beautifully illustrated picture book with a powerful message about plastic pollution from environmental expert Sarah Roberts.
- The perfect gift to introduce children to the issues of plastic in our oceans
- Brilliant for teachers to read to children in class when introducing them to pollution issues
PRAISE FOR SOMEBODY SWALLOWED STANLEY
‘Perfectly judged for pre-schoolers … a neat reuse-and-recycle message, with a memorable no-plastic-in-the-ocean hook’ TLS
‘An ideal springboard for further discussion about protecting the natural world. Lively full-page illustrations accompany the rhythmic, repetitive text, which is perfect to read aloud’ BookTrust
‘This simple, effective and entertaining story speaks powerfully to a new generation of potential eco warriors’ Lancashire Evening Post
‘A wonderful book […] A fun and brightly illustrated picture book with a clear message that plastic does not belong in the sea.’ Books for Topics
Special offers and product promotions
- Buy at least 4 items of your choice and save 5%. Offered by Amazon.co.uk. Shop items
From the Publisher
Sarah Roberts is on a mission!
Everybody has a taste for Stanley, but he is no ordinary jellyfish. Stanley is a plastic bag…
With beautiful illustrations, Somebody Swallowed Stanley tells the story of the problems a simple plastic bag can create in the oceans and all the creatures he meets on his journey.
Eco-expert Sarah Roberts has worked in conservation all around the world. With large amounts of plastic spreading into remote ecosystems and food chains, Sarah is on a mission to help children understand the issues: "If children aren't aware, how can they protect their favourite places and the awesome creatures who live there?"
Some facts about plastics
- 18 billion pounds of plastic waste flows into the oceans every year from coastal regions.
- Plastic impacts entire food chains – sea, soil, plants and creatures. Scientists predict that every seabird and every turtle on this planet have plastic in their stomachs.
- Reducing, reusing, recycling and picking up plastic makes a life or death difference to ocean life.
- Our actions have global effects as currents transport plastics across continents. There is even evidence of plastic pollution on the North Pole.
About the Author
- Publisher : Scholastic; 1st edition (2 May 2019)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 32 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1407195107
- ISBN-13 : 978-1407195100
- Reading age : 3 - 5 years, from customers
- Dimensions : 25 x 0.3 x 27.9 cm
- Best Sellers Rank: 13,537 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer reviews:
About the author
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 30 January 2021
Reviews with images
Top reviews from United Kingdom
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I love the message this book is trying to convey, and both of my children have recognised the impact of litter.
As a result we also bought another book by this author: Somebody Crunched Colin.
I have a 7 year old and 4 year old whom both enjoy this story.
My 7 year old is fully capable of reading this book alone however I like to read to them both together. However, I'm sure it's not a patch on Tom's reading.
If only Tom Hardy were here to read it for my bedtime story...