Follow the author
English for Everyone Course Book Level 1 Beginner: A Complete Self-Study Programme Flexibound – 1 Jun. 2016
- Choose from over 20,000 locations across the UK
- FREE unlimited deliveries at no additional cost for all customers
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enhance your purchase
Our Course Book (Level 1) is a great reference guide to introduce English for beginners including key language skills, grammar, and vocabulary.
Ideal for English test preparations or ESL lesson plans, the Course Book uses visual teaching methods to introduce the English language, reinforced through a variety of exercises and examples when used alongside our Practice Book (Level 1). From introducing yourself and talking about your home, city, and hobbies to expanding your vocabulary and understanding grammar and punctuation, this is a completely comprehensive introduction to practical English usage.
Whether you are looking for ESL teaching resources, or a structured programme for adults to learn English as a second language, the English for Everyone Course Books provide:
- Sample language examples: New language topics are introduced in context using clear, illustrated, and colour coded explanations
- Supporting audio: Extensive English-speaking audio materials integrated into every unit, giving vital oral and listening practice. (All supplementary audio is available on the DK English for Everyone website and IOS/Android App).
- Quick referencing: Easy-to-follow units, mirrored in both the Course and Practice Books for easy referencing and teaching
- Sentence formation guides: Visual break downs of English grammar in use, showing learners how to recreate even complex English sentences
- Visual English vocabulary cues: Lists of useful English words and common phrases with visual aids are available throughout the book
- Personalised learning: Write-on lines encourage ESL learners to write their own prompts and translations where needed to help customise English language learning
The English for Everyone Level 1 resources cover the skills and topics required for all major global English-language exams and reference frameworks including:
- CEFR: A1
- TOEFL (test paper): 0-250
- TOEFL (computer-based test): 0-30
- TOEFL (online test): 0-10
- IELTS: 0-2.5
- TOEIC: 0-200
English for Everyone is a series of guides and practice books that supports English learning for adults from a beginner level, to intermediate, and advanced practical English. Offering an easy-to-follow format that offers guidance for both teaching English as a foreign language, and a self-study approach with resources available to improve English speaking, reading and writing.
From the Back Cover
Learn English by reinforcing key language skills, grammar rules, and vocabulary with listening, speaking, reading, and writing exercises. This unique course is easy to use, starting at beginner level and working up to advanced English to help you grow in confidence as you learn. This Level 1 Beginner's guide introduces topics such as jobs and routines, leisure activities, and the home.
Audio material is provided at every stage through the English For Everyone website and Android/iOS apps to provide vital experience of spoken English and make even tricky phrases easy to understand. Perfect for personal study or to support exams including TOEFL and IELTS, English for Everyone is suitable for all levels of English language learners.
- ASIN : 0241226317
- Publisher : DK; 1st edition (1 Jun. 2016)
- Language : English
- Flexibound : 184 pages
- ISBN-10 : 9780241226315
- ISBN-13 : 978-0241226315
- Dimensions : 20.3 x 1.6 x 24 cm
- Best Sellers Rank: 2,125 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer reviews:
About the author
Reviews with images
Top reviews from United Kingdom
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
The audio files are available via a free app, which is good; however if you are using the app in Spanish (which to be honest since it doesn't explain the instructions anyway in the native language I don't really understand the advantage of having choices of languages) not all the audio files seem to be there on some exercises. For example there may be 10 questions and only the first 6 have an audio file available. Also you don't seem to be able to rewind the recording, although since they are so short that isn't a huge problem.
I also found that it wasn't very good in terms of building vocabulary/grammar at the beginning to allow conversation, so if you are looking for a guide to build basics of grammar etc then this system is fairly good, but if you are going on holiday and want to be able to have some basic conversations this is not the guide to choose. In order to be able to ask almost any questions to my friends in the first few chapters I was having to also explain other words and concepts.
For example for me it seems strange that chapter 2 is countries and nationalities including some quite complex ones and this is based around learning flags. But by chapter 7 you still haven't learnt greetings beyond "Hi" and "Hello", haven't learn't "How are you?" but are already learning about how to use the apostrophe to indicate possession as well as contraction.
However, it has been helpful for me simply in having an outline structure to study with my friends and allow then to do some additional study on their own after I have explained the concepts and have a printed reference to help them as I try to develop their knowledge and conversation.
I think the nature of this book it would be easy to finish the exercises but still have very little knowledge of English unless you are just using it as one small part of a whole system. It strikes me as a book a teacher might assign to a course so the students have some homework exercises.
But I have to say that this is not 100% self-study book and you will need someone who knows English to help you with some grammar aspects and other things.
We have decided to buy all books from this series including grammar and advanced business English.
Only upsetting fact that you can't order more than 8. I need 15 of them as I have been ordering for a group of students and amazon wouldn't let me order more than that.