Follow the author
The Crucible: A Play in Four Acts (Penguin Modern Classics) Paperback – 24 Feb. 2000
- Choose from over 20,000 locations across the UK
- FREE unlimited deliveries at no additional cost for all customers
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enhance your purchase
Arthur Miller's classic parable of mass hysteria draws a chilling parallel between the Salem witch-hunt of 1692 - 'one of the strangest and most awful chapters in human history' - and the American anti-communist purges led by Senator McCarthy in the 1950s. The story of how the small community of Salem is stirred into madness by superstition, paranoia and malice, culminating in a violent climax, is a savage attack on the evils of mindless persecution and the terrifying power of false accusations.
A depiction of innocent men and women destroyed by malicious rumour, The Crucible is also a powerful indictment of McCarthyism and the 'frontier mentality' of Cold War America.
Special offers and product promotions
- Buy at least 4 items of your choice and save 5%. Offered by Amazon.co.uk. Shop items
About the Author
- ASIN : 0141182555
- Publisher : Penguin Classics; Reprint edition (24 Feb. 2000)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 144 pages
- ISBN-10 : 9780141182551
- ISBN-13 : 978-0141182551
- Dimensions : 12.9 x 1 x 19.8 cm
- Best Sellers Rank: 5,495 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer reviews:
About the author
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 17 September 2020
Reviews with images
Top reviews from United Kingdom
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
By Mrs N. on 17 September 2020
You will never unthinkingly accept authority, or take allegations at face value, again.
Just had a bit of nostalgia for it, as I enjoyed it at school, and I enjoyed reading it again.